Thanksgiving brings the entire family, extended family and friends together. It is one those days when we feel all warm and fuzzy inside, knowing that we are loved by our families and friends. If you’re hosting the dinner this year, you need to make it a really unforgettable fare for your guests. Make these wonderful recipes this Thanksgiving and bring a smile on everyone’s face.
Caramelized Onion and Cheese Tarts
This appetizer is the perfect start for your Thanksgiving dinner. The enticing aroma of the caramelized onion and the fresh smell of baking will fetch you compliments from all sides of your dinner table!
Grated cheese (preferably Gruyere) – 3 cups
Cream cheese- 8 oz (softened till creamy)
Dijon mustard sauce- 2 tablespoons
Oregano (chopped) – 1 tablespoon
Ground black pepper- 1 teaspoon
Butter- 2 tablespoons
Sliced onions- 2 cups
Thyme- 2 tablespoons
Puff pastry sheet
1. Heat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl put gruyere cheese, softened cream cheese, mustard, oregano and black pepper and mix well.
3. Melt the butter in a pot and add the onions. Cook till the onions are softened and start to caramelize. This will take some patience and lots of time, about 50-55 minutes. When the onions start to caramelize, add the thyme and put side.
4. Roll out the readymade pastry dough into any shape that you like. Spread the cheese mixture and add a spoon of the onion at the center. Leave the edges free. Place the tarts on a greased oven dish.
5. Bake the tarts in your oven till the pastry is cooked through and turns golden brown in color.
Mashed Potatoes with a Tang
Creamy mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish for your roast turkey. The “tang” in this recipe comes from the sour cream which is added to give the potatoes an extra rich and creamy flavor.
Boiled potatoes- 4 oz (ensure that they are well boiled)
Heavy milk- 1 cup
Butter- 4 tablespoons
Salt and pepper to season
Sour cream- 1 cup
Chives- 1/3 cups (chopped)
Serves: 8 people
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the milk and stir well till the milk is warm. Remove from heat.
2. In a large bowl transfer the potatoes and mash them up along with the sour cream. Mash till smooth. Add the milk-butter mixture and keep on mashing till the potatoes become really smooth. Add seasoning. Stir in the chopped chives.
3. Serve as a side dish along with the turkey.
Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes
Ideas For Easy Thanksgiving Desserts
How To Plan A Memorable Thanksgiving Dinner
Tips For Simple But Delicious Thanksgiving Appetizer Recipes
Dessert Recipes For Thanksgiving
Delicious Pan Gravy
No matter what kind of turkey you’re preparing this Thanksgiving, you cannot give this recipe a miss. Pan gravy will not only go with the turkey preparation but will also complement your sides and make the perfect dip for oven fresh bread.
Turkey drippings from the pan
Chicken broth- 1 can (prepare it according to instructions)
All-purpose flour- 1/3 cups
Ground black pepper
1. When the turkey is ready, remove it from the roasting pan. Take some of the fats and juices from the roasting pan into a saucepan.
2. Add the broth into the saucepan and gently simmer away over medium heat.
3. Remove from heat and add flour, salt and pepper. Whisk in well and the gravy thickens.
4. Pour in all the contents of the roasting pan (herbs, dripped juices, oil etc) into the saucepan and gently cook over low heat for 15 minutes or till the gravy thickens.